AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Tempted in strip till...got questions!
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 9/9/2007 23:43 (#201238 - in reply to #201189)
Subject: Re: Tempted in strip till...got questions!

Driftless SW Wisconsin

It's tough if you don't want to spend any money! You need something with a parallel linkage. The only thing I can think of with no expense is to use your planter to clear some strips. But you have to wonder what you are going to learn from that? 

I think West Illini has about the most cost effective corn on corn strip till system with the best payback I have ever seen. But he did have to spend some money and do quite a bit of work to make it work. He has learned a lot and done an absolutely fantastic job on his crops this fall even in a tough weather year.  The key thing is return on investment. Very often folks that try to get by without spending enough to do the job right end up with results that match.

I would suggest you consider purchasing 8 of our Pluribus units (2007 version preferably) and run them through the corn on corn in the SPRING, not fall, especially in Quebec. Put them on a used rigid 8 row 30" mounted planter toolbar. Perhaps go together with some neighbors. Perhaps there is some cost sharing such as in the US some areas have "EQUIP" funds available or low interest conservation loans.  

If what you want to do was so easy and worked then every one would do it. Strip tilling corn on corn in Quebec conditions is very possible but it is not "easy". What you have can be made to work in bean stubble. It will NOT work consistently in corn on corn. Again, good luck.

Jim at Dawn

Edited by Jim 9/9/2007 23:49
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)