AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Tempted in strip till...got questions!
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Charloz24
Posted 9/9/2007 22:18 (#201162)
Subject: Tempted in strip till...got questions!

near Mtl, QC
Hi everybody! Sorry for that another strip till tread, but let me explain my case. My farm is located in South of Quebec and it's going a little different here for growing crops. For example, here soybeans are harvested before corn (I'm looking to start harvesting soybeans this week). Weather is different too... never too dry in spring and fall.

I'm really tempted into trying strip till, but there is nobody here that is doing this practice and I wonder why! So I want to try it, because no-till work good here, especially soybeans on corn. The problem is that my rotation is 25% soybeans and 75% corn (3 years corn, 1 year beans). Plow is still king here, in fact the only option for growing continous corn. But the strip till practice look a good idea and I will try a couple field on corn on corn to experiment a little. (about 10%) Since I will just do some test this year, I don't want to buy something for 20 000$, so here was my idea.

I have an Nh3 toolbar (8 rows) that is equipped with a disk and a mole knife. I could put some sharktook residue manager in front of them and put a set of closing disk in the back and here we go...correct? (Was thinking of 7-8 inches deep in the fall because in the spring I don't think the field will came enough dry to work 8 inches deep.)

Also, (dont forget that this is for corn on corn experiments) I was thinking the easiest way to do strip could be right in between old rows (in a 30' rows system, so 15' aways from old row). I will try it on field that are the most dry during summer and got no comaction.

So good or not? Hope got some good opinions of Jim BTW ;)

Sorry for my bad english BTW!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)