AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

My crop tour
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

notillr
Posted 8/22/2007 22:35 (#191669 - in reply to #191363)
Subject: RE: My crop tour

WC ILL or on a HD on a road to 'somewhere'...

We covered a bunch of the same areas you did, a little over a week ago. Put 2800mi on the FLH going through N IN, OH, W PA & NY. From there we went through Niagara Falls up the QEW to Toronto, then 400 up to Barrie on up around the N shore of Huron coming back in to the US @ Sault St Marie. From there we zig zagged the U.P. then across the Mackinac Bridge ( a thrill in itself on a scooter) followed the Lake Mich coast down to 131 & then a lot of the same areas you saw. From there we backtracked home on 30 & 24.

A couple weeks before that we did ~2500mi through S ILL to W KY to SE MO to a LOT of zig zagging in AR & MO before heading back home through MO to Hannibal to Quincy then Rt 24 home.

Several weeks ago we toured most of IA from the Quad cities to Mason City & Algona S, down to 30 then on down to Keokuk.

Overall impressions;

When in the desolate areas of Canada & the U,P., get gas when gas is available. Even @ 45mpg, a 5 gal tank won't last forever & 17.4ltr = 4.6gal. That leaves <20mi of fuel remaining when towns w/ gas aren't always that close up there! There's a fairly easy to figure out story in there somewhere..

Best corn we saw (for the stage of the season) was in NW ILL. It all looked like N IA & S MN has the last couple of years.

Worst corn was right where you saw it, S MI, N IN & N OH. Like you said, there's even irrigated seed corn up in MN w/ no ears on it. Saw patches of total burn out all the way from GR on south.

N & E IA looked nothing like they did @ the same stages the last couple of years. Lots of drowned out places from the early wet & a lot more uneven populations & stands. You just can't mud it in the way those guys had to do it & expect a lot, no matter how good the genetics are.

I've seen S ILL look a lot worse.

One universal thing seems to stick out & I don't altogether know why. That thing seems to be narrow row counts on ears & an awfull lot of evidence of sidewall compaction when the plants were smaller. Just didn't matter how planters were set up, they all had it...

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)