AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Introduction and seeking input
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

NoTill1825
Posted 11/30/2011 09:09 (#2076400 - in reply to #2075395)
Subject: RE: Introduction and seeking input

NC Indiana
Welcome! Should have spoke up sooner, could have had you 15 red angus 3 in 1's for $1200 back in Sept or 13 bred ones in Oct for $900. This will be our 3rd yr back in the cattle business (Dad had a small herd in the mid '80's and I've been around hog most of my life). I sent Dad to town to buy thin cows to eat up a bunch of volunteer wheat/fox tail and corn stalks we had around here and he came home w/ bred spring calvers bc they were cheaper. Last yr we bought out a local guys herd, from whom part of our first cow originated. And just last month we bought out a neighbors herd. Known young-middle age bred cows would be the best start, IMO. Pairs would be good as well if the price was right, and you could get an idea on what kind of calves those cows produce. Any chance your Dad or Uncle have stalks you could winter graze to cut down on feed? What are you going to do for hay supply? Any chance you could put a rye cover crop out to make for hay before a grain crop was planted? I know a local guy who plants rye after harvest and makes rye hay up until it's time to plant corn. That's his hay for they yr.

Good Luck!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)