AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Introduction and seeking input
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Peterson5
Posted 11/29/2011 21:10 (#2075395)
Subject: Introduction and seeking input

MN
First off I would just like to say what a great and informative forum this is, I have been a frequent visitor ever since I stumbled upon it six months ago or so, and have learned a bunch. Now a little about myself. I am currently going to school in mankato, MN for a degree in business management. I love agriculture and the lifestyle involved with it. It is my goal to someday farm grandparents land (currently being cashrented to a neighbor.)

Anyway I guess the main reason I joined was to ask about starting up a small beef herd.This fall while helping my uncle with soybean harvest I asked why he did not utilize his barn and roughly 20 acres of pasture at his place, he looked at me and said he would rather stick to the crops, but if I wanted I was more than welcome to put it to use. I put it off thinking he was joking, but I asked him over thanksgiving break if he would let me put some cattle up there. He said he would love to see cattle up there again, but I would have some work to do repairing fences and trimming trees. As far as cost for use of pasture, he said as long as i'm able to help him in the spring and fall, rent would be real cheap.

So I have been looking at some red angus cattle. If you were in my shoes would you be looking to buy bred cows, heifers, or open heifers and explain why. I do not necessarily just want the cheapest option of the 3, but just the best option for starting a small herd. Dad and I are thinking hard about going up to the Sonstegard female auction in Montevideo this weekend. http://www.riverranchredangus.com/

I have been giving this quite a bit of thought as I do not like to just jump into things without looking ahead. Dad says I should figure on having enough grass on hand to give them 3% of their weight in grass per day this winter until I can let them out to the pasture on May 1st or so.

Lastly please dont bash me for wanting to get into cattle when beef prices are so high. It has been a dream of mine for awhile to do this and it just so happens my opportunity to get started is unfolding now. Thanks for any input and suggestions you have for me.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)