AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

hey dairy guys, ration question...how much corn silage are you feeding per cow/ day?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

J. Sheehan
Posted 11/29/2011 22:21 (#2075678 - in reply to #2075400)
Subject: RE: hey dairy guys, ration question...how much corn silage are you feeding per cow/ day?

Sunnyside, WA
Not sure when you would harvest the triticale, but we double crop all our corn silage ground with triticale. Harvest the triticale in the boot stage. Takes 3-5 days to get it to dry down to 60% moisture so you can chop it. Test are usually 18-20% protein, 30% ADF, 50% NDF. Yields vary by area, but ours have ranged from 2.5 to 4.0 tons of dry matter per acre the last few years. It LOVES nitrogen. I like to make sure I have at least 150-200 lbs of N for the triticale and it will take every bit of it. Without enough N, your yield will be lower and protein will be lower. I tried get by with adding less N this past year on two fields and had protein levels of 11% and 14% from these two fields.

I gave up on feeding it to the high producing cows as it always seems to reduce intakes and milk. Works well in lower production groups if you can feed separate rations. I just feed it to my heifers and that works best for me.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)