AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

hey dairy guys, ration question...how much corn silage are you feeding per cow/ day?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

kylesupplee
Posted 11/28/2011 15:47 (#2072668)
Subject: hey dairy guys, ration question...how much corn silage are you feeding per cow/ day?

Thompsontown, Pennsylvania
how much corn silage do you guys feed per cow/ per day? Right now we are feeding about 24 dry matter pounds per cow per day (approx. 60 pounds as fed) and the ration is working pretty well. Problems are this: my nutritionist is wining a little because he says if we dropped back to about 18-20 dm pounds it would work better, and we are buying too much protein this way. Kinda $ss backwards opinion from others (most bankers and nutritionists tell you to feed as much corn silage as you can) but i can understand his thoughts. The second problem is, I need to be looking for any way possible to make the farm as labor and revenue efficient as possible. The more alfalfa haylage ( what the nutritionist wants) I grow the more ground that is devoted strictly to that and the more ground I have to travel across to harvest 5 times ( for half the tonage as I can get off of corn silage). I have heard of people and have a friend and fellow agtalk poster who have gone to almost all corn silage in the ration, just enough hay crop in there for some scratch factor. Most of the farms that have done this, really seem to crank some milk....so what are you doing and what are your thoughts......TIA Kyle
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)