AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Further to The joys of Dairy Labour, or maybe Why Robots Sell
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Oakwood
Posted 11/23/2011 11:16 (#2064108)
Subject: Further to The joys of Dairy Labour, or maybe Why Robots Sell

Manitoba
Ok, not trying to prolong the previous post on immigrant labour vs domestic but had to share my experiences of last week.

We've been really short staffed of late, living on the "edge" you never want to get close to. Been advertising lots, finally got a few applicants, and like we always do we have them come out and see the operation, try a bit of milking, talk to staff here before giving it a go. So after that we came up with 3 people who were interested, I'm really upfront with them, try to be as honest as I can be about challenges of the job, how the schedule works etc, there all assured me there were very interested. Starting wage is $ $3.50 to $4.00 / hr higher than any other entry level jobs around. So they were to start the morning shift and tag along with another experienced staff until they get comfortable on thier own.

Monday morning 4:30 AM. Applicant 1, does not show up. Oh well, better now than after a month of double staffing a single job. It happens
Tuesday morning 4:30 AM. Applicant 2. surprise, surprise, not here.
Wednesday morning 8:00 AM. Applicant 3 shows up (feeding position) 11:00 AM, falls out of feeding tractor and breaks his leg. yes, falls out of feeding tractor, don't ask me how, just thankful the tractor was not moving at the time. Now my workers compensation rates go up. Pretty expensive 3 hours.
Wednesday evening, Get email from applicant 1, very apologetic, really unlike them, so sorry, ok, start thursday again if that's ok. yes, great, thanks for the 2nd chance.
Thursday 4:30 AM. Applicant 1 does not show up,

Well, still advertising, nobody in the pipeline currently, just thought I should share a bit of the craziness that is invovled. It is not always as bad as this but it's always a challenge. And yes, this is seriously what happened, not stretching anything here.

Edited by Oakwood 11/23/2011 13:06
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)