AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

higher number of open cows, than I think feasible...
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

RCD
Posted 4/25/2011 09:24 (#1743619 - in reply to #1743269)
Subject: Re: Some of the Black exotic cattle are

West Central Iowa
My "leading statements" about buying come from over-generalizations and radical decisions that people make. If producers didn't buy Herford because of their bad eyes and prolapses, Angus because of their defect possibilities, Red Angus because of OS, Simmis and Charlois because of their calving problems. Shorthorns and Maines because they are too showy and can't walk, Limis because they have no nuts, etc. there would be no cattle left for anyone to buy. I've read more comments on this site about how "I won't buy another Breed X bull because the last one I had only bred 3 cows." or "That breed Y bull I had was a crazy SOB fence jumper and I will never buy one again!" A majority of my comments relate to the fact that the breeding program and breeder tell more about a set of cattle than the breed does.

In regards to this thread, it seemed to me that it was pretty easy to pass possible fertility concerns to defects. IF the producer had a carrier bull and IF the producers entire herd of cows were carriers, your math was right. Likely that was not the case. Also, just because and animal is black (and had angus influence SOMEWHERE in their pedigree) it is a stretch to assume it came from a defect carrier due to carcass traits. Here is a Sim-Angus bull that has 1680 in his pedigree and is free of both defects. http://bullbarn.com/simmepd.asp?ID=468 Actually, of approximately 10 black Sim-Angus bulls on the Bull Barn website only one was a potential carrier of any defect.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)