AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Pasture calving - in the rain (pics)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 3/22/2011 19:28 (#1683982 - in reply to #1683757)
Subject: RE: Calf with a home-made splint & supper in the chute (pic)

Driftless SW Wisconsin

This calf is now 2 days old but looking much better. He is out of a very nice but new-to-mothering heifer and with the calf not able to really get around very well to chase her for meals, I've penned them both in the corral.

She is licking him and seems to be accepting him but I just have not seen him suck yet. To be sure they are ok out in the pasture in this weather and that he is getting enough to eat and stay warm, my good neighbor suggested we make sure they each know their job by letting the calf nurse in the chute.

Here is a picture of them late this afternoon between cold showers. Both seemed to be getting with the program. I took the splint off after they nursed so he can try it on his own tomorrow.  He seems to have a will to live and stood on the right leg, if a bit lightly, after I removed the "splint" and before lying down in a pile of hay I put in a corner out of the wind.

Duct tape solutions always remind me of Apollo 13! Got them back OK too.  Here's a picture from this afternoon.

Jim at Dawn

Edited by Jim 3/22/2011 19:32

(IMG_3203_heifer 3 and calf 3Y supper in the chute.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_3203_heifer 3 and calf 3Y supper in the chute.jpg (52KB - 61 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)