AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Tithe
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

Mike SE IL
Posted 12/25/2010 01:49 (#1505685 - in reply to #1505574)
Subject: Re: why would you Tithe ? never know wat some of them do with that money!

West Union, Illinois

yeller - why would you Tithe ? never know wat some of them do with that money,! Some places it really looks like the house of GOD has been turned into a money bussines
Yeller, what you have brought up is really 2 separate issues.  First why would you Tithe ? I've heard several sermons over the last 50 or so years about giving and tithing in particlular.Without doing some digging I'll preface this with I think, but I'm pretty sure I'm correct.  I think you will be hard pressed to find a requirement for a tithe anyplace in the New Testament.  To be honest a lot of folks would have to give less to give a tithe.  I know that is a difficult concept to understand and a lot of people wouldn't believe it, but I am confident in saying it.  I probably run in a different crowd than many do.

I've heard a lot of times (and not just from preachers) that if you will give 10% off the top you will live better and easier on the 90% than you would the 100%. Now admittedly, most of the people saying this were getting a paycheck.  When you are running any kind business (including farming) it may be a little different.  That is where this concept of tithing on the increase comes in to play.  But I've proven this concept to myself over and over and over.  Not just by doing but by watching others do it.

The second part of your question is a little more difficult never know wat some of them do with that money,!

I couldn't agree more.  If you are part of a church and giving to that church you have a right to know where it is going.  But ... and here is another difficult concept ... the church is not a democracy but a theocracy.  Just because you attend or give or  are a member does not mean you necessarily have any say in how it is spent.  Hopefully the church has good, sound, Biblical leadership that handles things well and proper.  If it doesn't I would suggest looking for another church because if it can't handle something simple like money, theology is going to be a total disaster.

Which leads to the third part Some places it really looks like the house of GOD has been turned into a money bussines

Well... I wish I could argue with you.  Sadly you are correct. In fact the only place I recall in the whole Bible where it talks about Jesus getting angry involves just that.  I come from a church a little different than many (I started to say most, but I can't back that up).  We take up an offering on Sunday morning.  Period.  In fact, the only other times we take up a special offering is Ladies Night ... a once a year thing where we bring in a special speaker and invite any women who wants to join us for a meal and hear the speaker.  The offering is to cover the cost.  (And to be honest I am going to campaign to change that. )

Vacation Bible School is the other time. We are trying to teach concepts, one of which is giving.  We don't "pass the plates" but we do have them out for kids to give. The money received goes entirely to the mission we are supporting with it.  None of it goes to overhead.  I know one adult who keeps a jar on his dresser and every night empties all his pennies, nickels, and dimes into the jar to be given in the VBS offering.

That includes when we have special speakers, singing groups, etc.  If we ask them to come we offer an agreed to amount and no "love offerings" are taken.  I know, a radical concept to many.  But it goes back to the idea of not making God's house a place of business.  There are some preachers who have gotten rich pushing their version of God's business. They better enjoy the reward they have here and now.  Any time you hear a preacher with a "name it and claim it" philosophy turn and move quickly in the other direction.

I could go on for another page or two but I think that is enough to ponder on for a while.  I won't argue about giving with anyone, but I will be glad to discuss various ideas and concepts.  And I won't say my / our way is right, but it is what we have settled upon at this time as being correct.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)