AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

cow prices this comming spring
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Notazo6
Posted 11/29/2010 07:31 (#1459167 - in reply to #1457842)
Subject: Re: cow prices this comming spring

South Central South Dakota
Hey Jim them are some nice looking herfords about like what we have around this place got a combo of herferds, angus, and a few chars left over.

Not sure what to say about color or breed i know we have a good amount of herfords performing just as well as the angus or the char's granted everything on my place is cross bred so it's got a bit of them all in it by now. I have heard the color wars story had a buyer at a sale barn tell me when i sold my fats a year back you know if you colored them all black they would bring more. I said well i guess we will see my cattle came through, herford, black, and some char all mixed batch. I had them all weighing a good 1295lb average.

They brough top of the market that day. the buyer never said another word to me after that.

we have since switched gears and going with more selling feeder calves now instead of finishing out like we used to. it just didn't seem to pencil out as good as it used to for me and with alittle less help around the place. it was something i wasn't haveing fun with anymore.

Granted still have about 60 head that we are fattening out. Hope they bring good and the bred cows are a bit cheaper in the spring. Looking to expand the cow herd since i don't need the pasture to run yearlings on anymore. and would like to grow it a bit faster then saving that many more of my own heifers guess we will see.

I will say it is nice to see cattle higher but it's about time everything else has gone up enough so it's about time cattle follow suit

Edited by Notazo6 11/29/2010 07:34
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)