AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Sorting fat cattle
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

lynn
Posted 11/21/2010 21:56 (#1447271 - in reply to #1446356)
Subject: Re: Sorting fat cattle

NE IA
I like to let the cattle do the leg work for me by training them to walk out of the feeding pen into a drive way from time to time just for their pleasure. 20 min. Now when I want to sort one person stands in pen left of the gate and gives first opinion of animal as it walks by and he also has to set flow rate ,all while never stopping the flow. second person makes final selection choice and allows them to go by to the left or right into driveway or alley to working and loading area. After the pen has emptied itself in about 15 min . I put light end back and gate off what I need to hold sorted fats in same feeding pen they came out of . I prefer to do this sort days ahead of when I need the cattle to be loaded out as it lowers the stress on me and the cattle. Now while I have the cattle sorted I allow them to walk though the load out area and out the , and in 15 min your backing in the next truckexit alley going to the loading chute except they don't go up the chute but out at ground level onto the driveway back to their feeding pen. Now when I'm ready to load them out about a half hour before I load I open gate from feeding pen and let them go up the alley to corral ( holds three loads in three pens) and pen them . Then let what ever number as per compartment size on truck out of the pen and take to the crowding pen leading to the chute which they think goes back to the feeding pen and next time you see them their looking out the side of the pot, the trucker can't beleive it can be that easy and doesn't know what to do with his prod, andin 15 min your backing in the next truck. It sounds to me like you may be working in a pen where this might work for you , hope some of it helps. One other good way is one man and one low to medium pressure very courageous willing dog. hard to beat for enjoyment and low cost Good Cattle Good People and a GOOD Dog don't get any better than that
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)