AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Sorting fat cattle
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 11/21/2010 14:43 (#1446495 - in reply to #1446447)
Subject: Re: Sorting fat cattle - loading ramp (pics)

Driftless SW Wisconsin

DT,

My operation is nowhere near the scale of yours and most others posting here, but I have found that using screenings makes a good floor for my loading ramp. I sunk some 6x6 posts 4 ft apart into augered holes with concrete in the post holes, put 2x6 boards up inside and across the top between posts so there was exactly 30" clear (per Temple Grandin) and filled the inside with screenings. I think this works better than the concrete I was considering.

I think this provides good footing in about any weather conditions. I just added more screenings recently as it settled. I'll try to find a picture fwiw.

You could make it as long and high as you need. I find the 30" inside to inside dimension (and smooth) IS as important as Grandin says it is.

As I am usually weighing/sorting/loading by myself I put a pull rope to flip the spring loaded sorting door one way or the other - from the corral into the field or into the trailer.

I am also experimenting with a new scale head that has a sorting connection to control a gate or in my case just a light that comes on at a preselected weight point which can tell me they are above or below a certain weight and they go right or left out of the chute. If not working them I wire the headgate open and can sort them 4 different ways from there.

Jim at Dawn

Edited by Jim 11/21/2010 15:14

(IMG_2125_trailer_load_ramp_screenings_101010.JPG)

(IMG_2126_sort_gate_screenings_101010.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_2125_trailer_load_ramp_screenings_101010.JPG (88KB - 128 downloads)
Attachments IMG_2126_sort_gate_screenings_101010.JPG (94KB - 139 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)