AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Land x and y generation
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

haymaker568
Posted 9/24/2010 00:08 (#1371986 - in reply to #1371943)
Subject: Re: Land x and y generation

corner of mn, can see ia and sd from the silo
pofarmer, earliar u said people will average high price rented ground out with low price rented or owned ground, I agree people do this but its really not averaging, they are just making less on the cheaper ground and nothing on the high price ground and doing more work for less, which I know it dont take much to farm another quarter these days but not everyone farms alot just to go to the coffee shop and say I farm x amount of acres. I know continuing in farming is not going to be easy, but that makes it all the more fun. Everyone is saying that you cant start farming unless u have alot of land in the family, I think its fun to prove people wrong, but it does get frustrating some days.
I started with saving money from national guard deployments, got into custom baling, then livestock while having a full time job and then got really lucky and some neighbors retired and I found some land to rent. then a little more and now I can farm full time. I know I have to get into buying land, but it takes a lot of money the banks Ive talked to will only loan half of the amount of the land. Has it always been this hard to buy land in the past? I just ran a few cash flows with land cost and interest rates of when I was a kid and that seemed to cash flow really easy compared to what it is now, at least there was minimal income from something else that had to be brought in to break even on the land, I fully understand the land that would be purchased will not turn a profit for a very long time, I just dont want to farm 400 acres of rented land just to make the payment on one quarter.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)