AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Land x and y generation
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

sawinc
Posted 9/23/2010 22:35 (#1371804 - in reply to #1371495)
Subject: RE: Land x and y generation

NCSD
You may not like to hear this, and I don't like to say it but...

Only the deepest of pockets will continue to buy land and increase their holdings. As the farming industry continues to mature, "startups" will increasingly be a rarity. By "startups" I mean people like you... young farmer without some sort of huge land holdings in the family and/or deep wealth reserves from some other venture.

In some counties in South Dakota, nearly all of the land that comes up for sale is being bought by extremely wealthy gentlemen from either coast. When one of the FSA county directors asked the gentleman just how much land he was going to buy, the guy replied... every acre I can get my hands on. When the director asked what about the younger farmers in the county, the guy got in his face and said... Listen, some day all those guys will be working for someone like me.

Obviously, that is not the case in every place and every time right this minute. But I believe that is the general direction of things.

It's possible in 150 years people will look back at us with extreme envy that so many of us were "self-employed".
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)