AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

who buys the wheat?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

illini81
Posted 9/22/2010 21:36 (#1370239 - in reply to #1370005)
Subject: Re: who buys the wheat?

Rank-

Touche on the point about Yemen, i think things went a little macroeconomic there.

Not sure on Port policies, I know of several processors/exports in the US that will not deal with producers because they want a few very large volume customers, rather than deal with all the producers directly.

There really is no way to tell exactly what he is getting from the folks at the port or whomever he may be contracting with, however, it very well could be better than what they are showing ot the public. I guess not knowing what he is doing is part of mystery of the game we call grain marketing/trading. To me it feels like 5 card stud poker a lot of days.

Probably your best tool to avoid getting taken advantage of is to know how much it costs to truck from your farm to the port. That is a good starting point to quantify what basis you should get. Also, I would seek out his competition and find out their price, just to keep him honest. And, fwiw, $.54 seems like a heckuva wide spread for 100 miles trucking. at 4 bucks a running mile, I'll drive the truck!!! Also, seems especially wide because he has no handling costs.

note- assumptions on costs were basis US costs of trans at .54 usd, not up to speed on current price relationship between us and canada

Not sure if i helped or rambled but hope it was help!! :)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)