AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

rockin horse taylor made
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Markwright
Posted 7/16/2010 18:22 (#1276048 - in reply to #1276014)
Subject: RE: Future Direction is some of it

New Mexico
he carries it from the 1680 line.

also bought and sent some bred hiefers North from a ranch here last winter....black bronkles ( 2 shots of black on em, 1/3 of em horned ), REAL moderate. 42 of those and one of em had an AM calf.

Some Gardiner bulls in spots here, soo that's the story on those.

Reason for the hiefers is just the perfect phenotype...and know and needed their "instinct" background ie which comes from a 100 year old Herfy base on the ranch raised on here.

No abortion problems whatsoever.

On the cows deemed "needed moderated" simply shortened to a 42 day breeding season and used Real moderate bulls.

Basically what happened is a 36% to $39% open rate because of that.

Not a big deal because the cull market was decent and the cows went in weighing 1,550 to 1,610 so dollared out in the 800 to say 840 range.

Where the NH hurts some operations is some get it mixed up with Trich on an original diagnosis. ( last I checked ie AAA site, right at 2,500 to 3,000 bulls were NH positve out of approx 10,500 tested ).

If you have a double shot of NH in the cows, 25% of them will not carry a calf much longer than say 6 weeks.

First thing to test for might be Trich according to some.

SOO, test the bulls and say you get a false positive on one ( false positives on Trich are Not that uncommon ).

If folks retest the bull he could very likely be clean.
Spendy part becomes when folks perhaps forget the afore, "If".
Granted lab fees on Trich are running about $45 per down here now, so $75 per bull total adds up too.

Irregardless...gotta just quit my whining, because I love Angus cows, strait across perhaps not a better maternal breed exists...and the Great part is if it's to hot for a Black, just broaden Your genetic base and go with Reds.

Heck got a set of Angus pairs off Colorado 6 to 8 weeks ago..and they were simply "Absolutely PERFECT in EVERY Way", Prettier than a Santa Fe Barbie.
Best udders / udder attachments I've ever seen, Moderate and GENTLE too. Every Hiefer calf will be saved, and Every bull calf too.

Edited by Markwright 7/16/2010 19:26
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)