AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Can we do this over again.....wireless router distance?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

Chip
Posted 2/11/2007 19:47 (#103032 - in reply to #102476)
Subject: Rock-Solid solution

Ron,

Another poster said it best about getting ten different answers from ten different people. Here is my answer:

I suggest using CPE panels. These commercial suckers are already wether proof, and you don't have to worry about coax, connections, etc.

I'm running them in links from 150' to 12 miles.

The have been up for months.

They have been up in -20 degree weather.

They have been up in 50+mph wind, snowstorms, rain, etc.

In fact, I've never been on the network when they have been down.

They will also "link" at 108mg. Compare that to 11mg of 802.11b. (real throughput from 40-45mg)

These will mount in the side of your house, and then on the side of your shop. On the house side, run an ethernet wire into your network in your home. In your shop, mount a wireless access point anywhere in your shop, and run a wire from the panel to the access point.

You will then have a solid network--not just "internet" type of speeds, but speeds more comparable to a wired, 100mb network. Speeds that let you run VNC or remote desktop. Sjpeed and reliability that let you access your "house" data easily from the shop. Speeds and reliability that let you run a real network--stable and fast.

I've messed around with consumer wireless routers, antennas, extenders, coax, ends, etc, etc. I've gotten them to work, too. But I've never seen the speed or reliability from them that I've seen from these panels.

Even if you "can" get a link using low-end "consumer" stuff doesn't mean the link will be fast or reliable.

Simple, fast, weatherproof, no fuss, quick setup. What more could one want? Just a cheaper price. They'll run just a tad over $200 per panel. These are designed to be mounted outside--designed to run in frigid temps.

In my opinion, worth every pennny.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)