AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Freezer beef...
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Jim
Posted 1/25/2010 23:01 (#1041602 - in reply to #1041526)
Subject: RE: Freezer beef...

Driftless SW Wisconsin

#1 thing is to make sure you have enough freezer space lined up. An 1100 lb steer will fill a 15 cu ft freezer completely - maybe more if you have bone - in cuts.

As far as cuts go, think about what cuts you are likely to use. Do you use a lot of soup bones? beef ribs? etc.

What I find works best is to tell the processor you want the best steaks, the best roasts, the brisket, and grind everything else up for hamburger. I have had good luck with one of my processors who makes excellent rolled roasts. Rolled roasts are a big hit for holiday dinners.

I also have him trim as much fat and bone out as possible. Also they tenderize most of the round for cube or swiss steak. My wife likes it because it cooks fast and tender with some onions etc for a quick supper.

If you have a good processor and tell him basically the direction you want to go (for me more lean ground beef, fewer odd cuts and soup bones) then let him decide once he gets into the carcass to make best use of it.

I would agree also that try to get them to hang it for 3 weeks if they will. Many processors only want to go 2 weeks max.

Good luck.

Jim at Dawn

Edited by Jim 1/25/2010 23:02
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)