AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Anybody have a clue about MS Office problem?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

Illinois John
Posted 4/23/2006 05:31 (#7087 - in reply to #6829)
Subject: Thanks to all for suggestions.

Crawford County, Robinson, Illinois

Martin, thanks for the good suggestion.  If I click on the little disk icon to save a program, it does not hang, but I do not know if it saves any changes.  I have been too upset to see if that does actually work.  I almost always use "Save As" to make sure the work is being saved in the correct place, and that always hangs the computer.  Nothing will come up, after clicking on "save as" the program just hangs, and has to be hit by the big red X to get rid of it. 

Ed, I tried your suggestion, but in this situation it was not what I needed.

Omar, I had not been following the thread below this one, had read a couple of replies, but couldn't help with his problem, and did not relate it to my problem.  After reading that thread, I realize my problem is the same (almost) but I had two different things happening at the same time.

First, my USB bluetooth dongle (recently installed) was making calls to my other computers, causing my security system to alert to hackers, which was my one equipment, not outside hackers.  My "expert" found that problem, admitted he had no idea that could happen, and allowed the bluetooth dongle security clearance to the LAN, solving that problem. 

Second, evidently Microsoft had patched my security in such a way that my many Hp products (scanners and printers) and perhaps my camera software, were locking up both MS Office and also the addresses typed into the address bar of Internet Explorer.  I had noticed typing in addresses did not work the same as it had in the past, but not related it to problems with MS Word and MS Excel. 

I have a paid ($36, answer in one business day) e-mail of the problem sent to Microsoft support, as I need a quick answer.  I protested the charge to my credit card, due to my feeling it was there problem, but allowed the charge to get a response.  We will soon see if Microsoft is fair in their charges, as they should correct their problem at no charge.

I will report any fixes for my problems here, if I get a response on Monday.  Hopefully, I can download the previously mentioned patch to resolve the problems of a patch, with very little effort, instead of having to hack my own registry.

Ain't computers fun?  I once mentioned to someone that I waste a lot of time working with this machine that saves me so much time.

Edited by Illinois John 4/23/2006 05:35
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)