AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Anybody have a clue about MS Office problem?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

Illinois John
Posted 4/21/2006 21:03 (#6829)
Subject: Anybody have a clue about MS Office problem?

Crawford County, Robinson, Illinois

I got into a rash of different computer problems, thought someone was invading my network.  Called in an "expert" who said my bluetooth USB dongle was trying to take over my LAN, changed some security, and left.  I had a problem with MS Word and MS Excel before he came, and he said to re-install it and it would solve the problem.  I re-installed Office twice, and even upgraded from Office 2000 to Office 2003 (big mistake, too long a story to explain) and still have the following problem.

Problem is this: I can bring up Word or Excel (same problem with both) and load a previous program or create a new one.  When I try to "Save As" both programs hang, and won't do anything.  I do the big red X thing to get away from the problem, click on "End Task" and then go into the program (Word or Excel) again and it recovers what I am working on.  I try to click on "open" and both programs hang.  I click on the folder icon to open files and the computer hangs.  If I go to "my computer" I can see the "my documents folder and all the contents.  I can click on "my documents" on the desktop, and bring up a program, but not save it.

Microsoft's solution to the problem is to download a bunch of service pacs after re-loading the programs, I have done that, but the problem does not go away.

Anyone have a clue as to what I might do?  I have ran several virus checks and adware scans, everthing says I have a clean computer, agreeing with the "expert" I called in to look at the problem.

Some other programs are doing wierd things they haven't done before, but they are minor.

And, I did leave one computer without firewall protection while I was having problems configuring a Lan network, forgot to raise the firewall for a couple of weeks.  Still, I see no sign of any invasion, except wierd things are happening I cannot explain and the "expert" says did not occur.

Sorry for the long ramble.  I have been using Word and Excel almost since their inception, and upgraded many times.  This is the first time I have had a major problem.

Any ideas?

Edited by Illinois John 4/21/2006 21:07
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)