AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

opinion wanted
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

nosworc
Posted 3/22/2024 18:46 (#10675733 - in reply to #10675416)
Subject: RE: opinion wanted

JRCS Farms - 3/22/2024 12:29

It really comes down to a few things here. You say his research is valuable and needed. You also say others are doing similar research. If you don’t give him the budget he requests and he leaves for something different will you be satisfied with the other research being done? Since we don’t know the research or the specific situation it’s hard to say but it seems like you and the commission see him as a valuable researcher. If so the additional money now may look very minimal in the future if his research can be very successful or it may look minimal compared to increased costs for others to do the research or a long drawn out process that you keep funding. If you want to keep him then maybe a straight “no” is the wrong choice. Also have to consider what other opportunities are available in the area. You say it’s in a “liberal Mecca” so is he asking for something out of line for the area? If not I would leave if I were him and you weren’t willing to match normal benefits in the area. My biggest frustration in ag is the feeling of being able to underpay employees/staff/etc because “I had to scrap my way through so they’re fine.” We “overpay” our couple employees based on other local farms we know about but it’s about providing them a reasonable, livable situation. Not just my bottom line. If I have employees then I’m responsible to provide for them as the employer. If I don’t provide a reasonable situation then I can’t be upset when no one wants the job. It’s very situational, but the value he adds should definitely be considered because you might lose him if you don’t at least meet him halfway.

he is an employee of the college extension service not an employee of the commission. any benefits like that should come from the college
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)