AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Torn meniscus
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

FFJR
Posted 3/13/2024 13:09 (#10663694 - in reply to #10663467)
Subject: RE: Torn meniscus

nc IA
One thing I forgot - you're body has enough "experience" now, that you likely wouldn't need a 2nd knee down the road as it should last the rest of your life. My fear was having issues and having one early enough, that I then needed a second one later on. I think I can make it long enough to need one replacement. My late mother was a bionic woman - arthritis since her late 20's. Had 2 knees and 3 elbows replaced before cancer ( I think from the lifetime of arthritis meds contributed greatly) got her the second time. I remember her getting the shots in her elbows back in the late 80's even to try and hold off replacement of that first elbow. When she had that one done, I think it was the 12th total elbow (late 90's) in the USA completed. They didn't warranty it when she had it done again in the 2010-14 era, but they did give her the worn out one. Had the procedure in one of the Mayo teaching rooms with an observatory I think.

Edit: My wife is a Physical Therapist. If you're otherwise motivated and healthy, she sees great responses from those types doing both knees at once. Less overall total recovery time, might take a week or two more, but you're only down once. A lot will depend on your circumstances though. A lot fear doing both at the same time, and that makes sense in quite a few cases, but be open if your Ortho surgeon suggests / evaluates doing both at the same time.

Lastly, Talk to folks in your area to get a feel of the Ortho doctors you have to choose from.

My wife has a list in her head of the Dr's that see the most success, vs the ones that always seem to have post surgery complications. PT's all work with patients after the fact and see the good and the bad outcomes.

Edited by FFJR 3/13/2024 13:18
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)