AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Adding tile
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

gpsdude
Posted 3/13/2024 12:20 (#10663645 - in reply to #10662614)
Subject: RE: Adding tile

NE South Dakota Clark, SD
soilnotdirt - 3/12/2024 15:11

If you have intakes open to the air, yes water will bubble up in high rainfall. But all underground, I think the upper area drains last.

The lower ground will drain last. Tile works on kind of a pressure based theory. Higher elevation has more "pressure" so it drains first. Kind of like pumping water up into a water tower to get better pressure. If you have a submerged outlet in a ditch, the water table will only drain to the level of the water over the outlet. If the ditch level drops, then the water table will drop to the same level.

I have seen this in fields where there was not enough planning when spot tiling. Put in a 6 inch main to drain 7-8 acres and then a few years later you realize the wet spot moved up the "hill" a little further. Add another 5-6 acres to the system and now the low ground drys out slower because the upper ground drains first because the main is over loaded. I have yet to hear anyone say they regret putting in too big of a main or spacings that were too narrow.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)