AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

pregnancy re-check
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Milk in Wi
Posted 2/29/2024 20:56 (#10646056 - in reply to #10644985)
Subject: RE: pregnancy re-check

We have a program similar to yours. We ultrasound weekly starting at 28 dslh. We then check again at 70 dcc. We used to check again at 180 dcc, We took this check out several years ago after finding our data said the same as others here stated. We just were not finding any opens that we did not expect. We are currently researching the possibility of discontinuing the 70 dcc check. The driving force behind this is the implementation of SCR tags a couple of years ago. SCR ear tags are put on animals at about 12mos of age and the animal then will keep the tag for life. The SCR system will track any heats including already comfirmed pregnant animals. This is then exported to DC305. Daily decisions are made by our herd managers to breed or not to breed and all are automatically put on our vet check lists. We are all headlocks with electronic id plus we have the ability to turn SCR led's on which helps us find any unlocked cows. Even with all this we still think by eliminating another check we will reduce lock time and labor. I believe that is the most expensive vet I have heard of. My thoughts are that it sounds like you have enough cows to justify your own ultrasound machine. This would give you alot of flexibility in what you decide to do and should save you some money. ( Shameless plug....we have an extra one that is for sale right now)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)