AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Trouble keeping 4720 off the row
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 6/13/2009 08:06 (#743454 - in reply to #743357)
Subject: Re: Trouble keeping 4720 off the row

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
Thanks for all the good advice.

I found out after the purchases that this was one of the first machines produced of this series and was used for tech training down in Florida. The local dealership bought it after the training and brought it here to Minnesota for leasing out.

The airbag system is the self-leveling type. My land is really quite flat.

Adding more weight to the front is my easiest option as I have several more weights just sitting on a three point weight carrier that I use for added weight for fall tillage. I really didn't want to add more weight than necessary but this is an easy choice.

The tires and suspension are other possibilities. The machine drives fine down the road at high speeds.

A neighbor got a new 4720 a year or so ago and mentioned that his dogtracked right out of the factory. The local techs spent quite a bit of time shimming the rear end. He felt that it did help the situation. His brother who drives it most said that second pass spraying after cultivation worked much better.

Swapping the front tires so that they run backwards is a novel idea for me with worn tires.

Agboy is correct also in that I am making the transistion from a pull-type sprayer to a self-propelled. I had some problems with my pull-type sprayer dogtracking at times and felt that the self-propelled would be better in this regard. With my pull-type sprayer, the tires (tractor type tread) cut in with a full load and were very hard on the crop when I got off the row. The tractor tires were worn and didn't seem to do as much damage.

I guess the only way to avoid tire problems altogether is to apply by helicopter or airplane.

Edited by tedbear 6/13/2009 08:08
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)