AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Trouble keeping 4720 off the row
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 6/12/2009 16:19 (#742792)
Subject: Trouble keeping 4720 off the row

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
I bought a used 4720 this Spring. I really like the sprayer for the most part.

The previous owners had a NORAC boom height installed which works well. I installed one of my Insights and have it running the boom sections via Autoswath. I also have a Raven injection pump being run my the Ag Leader Direct Command module. The Deere system does the rate control.

The problem is that I have difficulty keeping the sprayer off the rows. I have 30" rows. Depending on the ground conditions, I sometimes need to drive around 8 MPH to feel comfortable in staying off the rows. This is in corn on corn ground where the field was worked at an angle. In corn on bean ground the situation is better but I still need to go relatively slow compared to other sprayers.

The Tires on the sprayer are worn quite badly from much road travel by the previous owner. I plant on replacing them for next year but hoped to get my this year to spread out my costs.

The Sprayer did not have any front weights on it. The dealer always removes them and then sells them back to you after the fact if you need them. I made my own weight bracket adapter to put a Duetz Front Bracket and Deutz weights that I have. I currently have 4 of them on the bracket but I have more available.

I have heard that these Deeres are not the greatest for staying off the row but there are sure a lot of them out there. I'm not out to break any speed records since I'm not a custom operator but I do want to stay off the row.

Possibly there is some adjustment in the steering that would help. I've checked the toe-in and the rear wheel measurements and they seem OK to me.

I would be open to an suggestions for improving this situation.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)