AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

15in or 30in beans
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

boog
Posted 6/12/2009 08:41 (#742342 - in reply to #741961)
Subject: Re: 15in or 30in beans

Weed control was the reason I went to drilled beans back in the late '70s. In the early '90s I switched back to 30s & in '97 went to 15s . TThe last 3-4 years we have been planting some 30s as well as 15s and this year we have gone to 20" coorn & beans. Last year the 30s were slightly over 1 bpa better than the 15s in a limited side by side comparison, 13" of rain in 8 days wiped out a lot of the field

Since the introduction of gylsophate reistant beans weed control isn't the factor it use to be, at least for us. As for yield, you tell me what kind of weather you are going to have during the summer & I can tell you pretty much which row width to go with. Dry tends to favor narrow rows & wet favors wide rows.

AS plowboy stated, 15s are a lot easier to combine. Seed cost is a little less in the 30s but there's not a lot of difference in the amount of seed used, we used 125,000 seeds/ac in 30s & 145,000 in 15s. But at $60 bag seed even that can add up over several acres.

IMO, if I was goin to commit all my acres to one row width for several years I would go with the 15s.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)