AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Welding a diesel tank
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

MDARE
Posted 5/19/2009 10:33 (#718239 - in reply to #717801)
Subject: RE: Crazy..............

SW KS
Thats a very broad statment in response to a very specific topic I was responding to. The only way to learn is to ask, which I completely agree with. However, when wanting advice on doing something which could be deadly why ask here? Take it to someone or have someone qualified come over and show the procedure along with the do's and dont's. Once this is done and he feels comfortable with it, then he can do it himself from then on. I am sure it could be done 100 times and nothing bad would happen, but there is always the one time. When welding on tanks I am usually more concerned with pressure explosions, than one from combustion.

A perfect example happened somewhat locally a few years back. A farmer had a crack in his tractor wheel so he decided to weld it up. No big deal right? Well I assume he didn't vent the pressure while welding, and the next thing you know his family was burying him. This was a task that could probably be done 1000's of times successfully, but there is always that once. Don't ask me how it happened, I would never have guessed that a tire would build that much pressure. Somewhere there was a variable that was overlooked. Actually he probably overlooked all of them, becuase he thought it was no big deal.

All that I was trying to get across to the original poster was to use extreme caution.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)