AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Insight counts too many acres
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 5/13/2008 22:06 (#377459 - in reply to #376540)
Subject: Re: Insight counts too many acres

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
D.G. I'm not exactly sure what you mean by a phantom valve.

Just because you have a valve in the configuration doesn't mean that one must and be wired into the system with Direct Command Liquid.

This is in contrast to the setup for a Seed Command and the various sections indicated in the configuration setup. With Seed Command, if you say you have 4 planter or drill sections, the system will check that they are physically wired into the system.

This is not the case with boom valves on a liquid system. The majority of the time you would want to have a valve wired into each section but there might be times when you would not want to.

For example if you really have a five section sprayer with five boom valves you would setup the configuration that way.

However if you setup a configuration that had five sections but only four actual boom valves the system would allow this but it would be rather foolish to do this.

My point is this - Seed Command checks for the actual presence of the air valves or clutches for the sections specified in the configuration but Direct Command Liquid does not.

Some might wonder how the system can detect if the air valves or clutches are actually "out there". Ag Leader wires the air solenoids and/or clutches "hot". When the clutch or air valve is to be activated to shut off a section, the Seed Command module completes the ground. The coil is then energized and that section should stop planting. At all other times when the section is to be planting, the ground is not completed so the coil is not energized.

Since the coil is really just a long piece of wire, the 12V sent out to the air solenoids or clutch will return on the ground wire. The Seed Command module can "look" at this wire and determine if 12V is coming back on the wire. If it is not, then the air solenoid or clutch is not attached or there is a wiring problem.

I had a question one time where a person was going to use two Direct Command Liquid modules to blend two products together at times on a rig. This person was concerned that both LCM modules would need to "feel the load" of the boom valves. This is not necessary and the boom valves could be controlled by either of the two LCMs.

Before Ag Leader introduced the Direct Injection module, I used two LCMs on a sprayer, one for the carrier in the tradional setup and the other to run a Raven Motor Control on my injection pump. The second LCM was not connected to any boom valves as the first LCM handled the Boom ON/OFF situation.

Edited by tedbear 5/13/2008 22:22
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)