AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

erratic seed depth with john deere 7100 planter
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Cowboycorn
Posted 4/26/2009 20:56 (#693896 - in reply to #692683)
Subject: RE: erratic seed depth with john deere 7100 planter

north central Oklahoma
I know this is late and you likely won't see it, but my guess is that your ground is just too dang hard to be planting in. BTDT, It don't really matter if you have walking guage wheels or adjustamatic wheels, if the ground is too hard fot eh double discs to penetrate, the seed just isn't gonna get covered. If you used the right width bushings, the lock nuts go smashed right up to the bushings, the bushing width is what holds it apart so that it can flex up and down.

I predict that the cext thing that will happen, if you load up on the weight like I did one summer, is that you will be replacing shanks slowly but surely over the next few years after cracking them all down around the disc axle stub. Ask me how I know. I have 7 our of 8 now replaced, and the 8th replacement is sitting in the shop on hand waiting for the time it happens.

My neighbor had this same issue with an 8 row 7200 this spring. I watched his hired hand planting one day (I hire the hired hand's son for my help) and advised him he was planting too shallow, about 3/4" deep. He said that was what boss wanted. After he took off, I scratched around and realized on much of the ground, it was all the planter could do to reach that depth. This was wheat in '08, double crop soys, NH3 applied in February, and hard as a rock 2nd week of April. Not the case now, but it matters no, most of his corn is toast, and water is standing everywhere now.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)