AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Why do engineers (rant)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

acarpenter
Posted 4/21/2009 10:37 (#688204 - in reply to #688115)
Subject: Re: Why do engineers (rant)

You hit the nail directly on the head, Jon. Some engineers actually have some common sense (key words here are "some"); however, the bean counters value engineer everything to ease constructability and cut cost (and often rightfully so)

Back when I was in school (BSCE, Univ. of Alabama, 2001), I was really amazed with some of the exercises & formulas we learned in engineering. A very memorable class was an advanced foundation design class. The biggest two things I got out of that class were:

1. We studied countless failures of buildings & structures. So many in fact that I became paranoid walking around tall buildings because I kept looking at potential failure points. Even today, I get nervous when I get around silos...

2. The over-engineering required for foundations. We would spend two or three pages working out countless formulas & derivatives to then put a Factor of Safety of "3" and sometimes as much as "5." Was it really necessary to do all of that work to then shrink the allowable forces by 80%?

In construction (and a lot of other things in life), I think the statement below pretty well summarizes everything:

You can have it cheap, fast, or high quality. Pick which two of the three you want.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)