AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Missouri, Illionois ,and Indiana DOT question
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

jburke
Posted 2/16/2009 17:27 (#611388 - in reply to #610418)
Subject: Re: Missouri, Illionois ,and Indiana DOT question

Fort Meade, FL
First of all SD-455 said over 10' of length you need a chain". That's not true when hauling equipment. It is true when hauling things like steel, wood,beams,etc. When hauling equipment, you need to have 4 points if the equipment weighs over 10,000 lbs. Plus if there are any attachments you need one on it. ie. tractor with loader bucket, requires 4 corners plus 1 on the bucket. Now if it pivots or articulates then add one in the pivot point. For example, a backhoe, if it weights more than 10,000lbs, legally requires 6. Each chain and binder must meet a certain rating but I forget what that is. When the weight of the equipment is less than 10,000 lbs, then the number of chains and binders that are required is determined by whatever that weight rating rule is but again I don't remember.

Your best bet would be to call the DOT in each state and ask them your questions. The number for one in Indiana is 317-615-7373. I am not sure if you will be legal on farm plates. I know a guy who got a ticket for having farms plates doing exactly what you are about to do but I don't remember how far he went. Seems like he went from IN to IL or MO.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)