AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Missouri, Illionois ,and Indiana DOT question
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

SD-455
Posted 2/16/2009 09:43 (#610991 - in reply to #610418)
Subject: RE: Missouri, Illionois ,and Indiana DOT question

Northeast Indiana (Auburn)
A few thoughts to help not getting stopped by the DOT or police. Make sure the back of your pickup is not lower than the front. In other words the bed rails should be level. If the back end is low you will be stopped because you look over weight. If you have mud flaps on your truck or trailer make sure they are at least 6" off the ground if lower you look over weight. Make sure you have a seperate chain and binder on each corner of your load, minimum of four. You need a chain for every 10' of length of the load. Do not have any chain end or slack over 2' loose. As far as IN. if you look legal they (the DOT and police) will leave you alone. As far as scales I pull on them loaded, I pass them empty. I have farm plates for 11,000lbs on the diesel pickup and 22,000lb farm plates on the gooseneck. You will not need a fuel tax sticker if farm plated. In Indiana if you are stopped and have a CGVWR over 10,001 lbs you need a inspection sticker or form for the truck and one for the trailer, a fire supression device and triangles. As of Jan. 1st of this year you also need the original CDL physical papers or be able to produce them within 12 hours of being stopped, not just a "medical card" if you have a pickup/trailer combo over 10,001 CGVWR even if you have farm plates. Not too many farmers know this. You do not need a CDL if you are under the 150 mile rule. Also make sure your break away system will set the electric brakes, they will check this.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)