AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

population on dryland corn
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Cowboycorn
Posted 11/23/2008 16:09 (#514586 - in reply to #514520)
Subject: RE: population on dryland corn

north central Oklahoma
Luke,

I was told by my seed dealer in the past that corn will still yield at low pops. I had an emergence issue in '06, wet when I planted and temps in the 60's, then the next week followed with 90 degree plus temps, with the typical 40 mph Oklahoma spring winds, and dried the little double hump slot those dual closing wheels are famous for in wet soils. He advised that he has had pops clear down to 12,000 ppa still yield 100 bpa. That is pretty close to your figures, and if moisture and groceries are present, flex ear corn will likely do it. Does one want to plant 10 - 12,000 ppa hoping for a final stand anywhere near that, dunno if I do. I am planting everything between 22 and 24000 this year for quicker canopy. That has been my main issue. With our intention of following the corn with wheat in the fall, we prefer to hold our grass herbicides on the low side of max, and with the thinner stands most normally plant, we are getting way too much week breakout before picking time IMHO. If you will not follow with wheat, then I would advise upping my weed program significantly with the low pops you are considering. A rate between 8 and 10,000 ppa is getting close to 20 inches between plants, that's a big gap for weeds.

This is gonna be a challenging year for sure in this yield area for corn for sure. Good luck
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)