AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

NK & Garst alfalfa-are they the same or different???
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Scott (OSU)
Posted 11/22/2008 20:43 (#513906 - in reply to #513837)
Subject: RE: Now that is interesting.

Dalton, OH
I get 4-5 cuttings on my alfalfa and it usually yields 5-6 tons per acre. I leave it in for 4 years and then rotate it to beans and corn and then back. Raising dairy quality alfalfa, much of it is 150+RFV and 23%+ protein. My best this year was 220 RFV and 26.2%protein. All of my hay is sold, mostly to dairies of all sizes 20-2,000 cows. I also raise grass and alfalfa grass mixes. Used to make mostly dry hay, but have since switched to drier wrapped stuff, 25-40% moisture, in 3x3x6 individually wrapped square bales. I can make much better quality hay this way and the market has really taken off around here for this kind of stuff. Currently, running 1,000 acres of hay and may move towards 1,500 acres if things keep going the way they are. I have to brag a little and I will probably jinx myself for next year, but I haven't had hay rained on in two years and I don't have the luxury of irrigation!!!

Any other questions, fire away. Someday, when I get a chance, I will post a bunch of pictures of our haymaking process.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)