AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

NK & Garst alfalfa-are they the same or different???
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Scott (OSU)
Posted 11/21/2008 21:00 (#513033 - in reply to #512846)
Subject: RE: NK & Garst alfalfa-are they the same or different???

Dalton, OH
Actually it does matter. I've been planting Genoa from NK and its been a good variety, but the Garst dealer would like some of my business on beans and if the Garst alfalfa is the same it makes taking my business there easier. Plus, the Garst variety is $25 per bag cheaper, which on 100 bags of alfalfa adds up a little. And if you want another reason, the Garst guy is $10 per bag cheaper on on the same NK beans, which adds up to a mere $12,000. I won't even mention the savings on the corn.

I could be off a little, but I few years ago we were down to less than 7 alfalfa breeders. I wouldn't be surprised if we had even fewer now, 3-4?? Many of the varieties on that list in the link are the same variety just sold by a different company under a different name. I've had seed from two different companies come in different bags with the same lot number on them. Hmmm, I wonder why. If a person figures out which ones are the same, then you can buy the one that is cheapest.

I really like this site, but I sometimes get tired of the regurgitated answers. I asked an honest answer and I got a response from Merlin. I emailed him and got my answer. I'm not picking on just you Hay as many other posters do this also. One example is when somebody asks how everybody else's input costs are looking this year. Then you get somebody who posts a link to a university crop budget. That's what Google is for. The poster actually wanted to know people's actual input costs, not what some university says.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)