AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Grid sampling and tissue testing.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Hay Wilson in TX
Posted 11/3/2008 20:08 (#497046 - in reply to #496994)
Subject: Possibly I assumed too much.

Little River, TX
I assumed they were aspiring to be more than a regional facility. With their points scattered around the West as an illustration of their rapid turn around, Including Del Rio. Texas,
It never way my point to cast aspersions on their competence to analysis soils in the Mid Atlantic States.
Still a soil testing lab, really can not make realistic recommendations unless they have done multiple test plots in any area they intend to make recommendations. That should be a real foot stomper in any and every soils course.
A number of years ago I visited the A & L Plains Lab in Lubbock, TX and the director was honest enough to recommend I not pay the extra cost for recommendations. His lab had never done fertilizer testing in the Texas Blacklands. So even if your favorite Lab had done fertilizer response plots in Del Rio, they would not be valid in these soils. HERE.
From what I have seen with soil testing using the Mehlich III is better than Bray and for sure better then the Modified Morgan so beloved by TAMU for such a long time.

From a few contributions to these pages I assumed there are pockets of high lime soils scattered through out the North East.
Possibly there are no highly clay soils in that country, but than why did Penn state build a chart to adjust the K & Mg goals for differing EC values up to 50 meq/100g?

My original observation stands. For my soils your Lab is a poor fit. They do not provide a number of services I consider helpful. This is not to say they can not adequately address the fertility needs for the Middle Atlantic States. I doubt if they can with any confidence provide realistic recommendations for farmer in Del Rio, TX. I can assure you their recommendations will be as unrealistic as those we in the CenTex receive from our beloved Tx A & M U.

It is true my truths as they apply to my particular farming operation have little chance of applying directly to your friends and/or clients.

Keep firing away as you encourage me to revaluate my current ideas of fertility management.
Start again at the top of the page if you please.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)