AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Grid sampling and tissue testing.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Hay Wilson in TX
Posted 11/3/2008 15:58 (#496934 - in reply to #495579)
Subject: Allow me to qualify my observation.

Little River, TX

The Lab does not mention the chemistry used for soil testing.
No mention is made for the Olsen Chemistry, which is essential for high pH soils.
Soil test results are said to be as K2O & P2O5, which means we have to retranslate the results back to ppm K & P.

Their CEC appears to be a computed value. Something that hopefully will utilize accumulating deviations to cancel and provide a reliable figure. Problem is deviations can add and end up with some interesting values.

I might have missed the reporting of free lime service. If they do not report Free Lime % decisions for phosphate fertilizer needs is complicated.

Some of the locations mentioned should be where soils are calcareous.

Their tissue testing is 27% higher than what I currently pay. True this may change before the end of the year. Their Moly analysis is a bargain. The next time I tissue sample alfalfa I just may pull dual samples and compare results. I will have to question them first though.
I do not see where they provide an option for chlorine levels for field gathered plant analysis. An element that should be looked at if heavier applications of Murate of Potash is used.

I do wish their Web Site was less artistic.

It was not my intention to suggest this lab is not credible for the soil and climate along the Eastern Seaboard. I do say that, from what I see on their Web Site, their work is not compatible with the soils & climate of the Texas Blacklands.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)