AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Grid sampling and tissue testing.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

martin
Posted 11/3/2008 18:54 (#496994 - in reply to #496934)
Subject: RE: Allow me to qualify my observation.

The Lab does not mention the chemistry used for soil testing. 

The lab does mention the chemistry used.  It uses Mehlich 3, which is the standard for PA.
No mention is made for the Olsen Chemistry, which is essential for high pH soils.

The lab does not use Olsen.  PA has very, very few high pH soils. The Olsen testing method is not appropriate for most PA soils. In fact, it is not appropriate for most soils of the East Coast.
Soil test results are said to be as K2O & P2O5, which means we have to retranslate the results back to ppm K & P.

Soil Test results are reported both as ppm and lb/ac.  This is evident on the example soil test report shown on the website.

Their CEC appears to be a computed value. Something that hopefully will utilize accumulating deviations to cancel and provide a reliable figure. Problem is deviations can add and end up with some interesting values.

CEC is a computed value.  'nuff said.

I might have missed the reporting of free lime service. If they do not report Free Lime % decisions for phosphate fertilizer needs is complicated.

Free lime is found probably in 1/10 of 1% of soils in PA.  I doubt they are willing to run that test for that % of soils.

Some of the locations mentioned should be where soils are calcareous.

???   what's your point????

Their tissue testing is 27% higher than what I currently pay. True this may change before the end of the year. Their Moly analysis is a bargain. The next time I tissue sample alfalfa I just may pull dual samples and compare results. I will have to question them first though.

Their tissue testing is less than what John is paying.  That is why I posted the link. 
I do not see where they provide an option for chlorine levels for field gathered plant analysis. An element that should be looked at if heavier applications of Murate of Potash is used.

I do wish their Web Site was less artistic.

Why don't you redesign their website for them?

It was not my intention to suggest this lab is not credible for the soil and climate along the Eastern Seaboard. I do say that, from what I see on their Web Site, their work is not compatible with the soils & climate of the Texas Blacklands.

I did not post the link for your information.  I posted it for John's information ...... John who lives in NY, not TX.  I don't believe this lab is touting itself as an appropriate soil test lab for use in TX conditions.  I do believe it would be an appropriate lab to use where Mehlich 3 testing methods are appropriate - basically East Coast areas.

John expressed concern about the cost of soil testing and tissue testing on grids.  He posted his costs, and I knew what costs I have from the lab I use.  I posted a link to the lab that I use, so John could see additional options.  In no way did I intend to infer that John should automatically switch to the lab I use.  Rather, I would hope he would explore additional options, compared to what he uses now.  In fact, since my original post, I became aware that Cornell uses the Morgan method for soil testing.  I would want to investigate this angle, and the implications, before I switch labs, especially if I was switching to a lab which uses methods other than that what the state university recommends.

Edited by martin 11/3/2008 19:31
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)