AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Soil Tests and knowing your soils
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

JWC
Posted 10/30/2008 14:15 (#494157 - in reply to #493780)
Subject: Re: Soil Tests and knowing your soils

bit north of London, UK
Here in England we are way behind you guys when it comes to understanding soil chemistry / nutrition.

I (and many other fellow farmers) do however have a copy of Hands -On Agronomy, and consider it worth its weight in gold.
I even send soil samples to Kinsey Ag Services, and consider the results worth their weight in gold.

But there is nothing remotely close to KAS available here in UK, and KAS has international network of advisors to facilitate the process.
I have no idea which lab KAS actually uses, and how it rates against 'US favourites'.

I do know that following the recs gets results, and the recs i follow are a country mile away from any soil fert plan any other UK based agronomist would recommend.

So i guess i am interested to know how KAS rates with US growers. Not that i have any intention of changing anything i do. I am starting to understand what the figures i get mean and how they alter with product applications.

I grow winter wheat, winter oilseed, and spring beans on a high pH (peaks at 8.4) calcerous clay / clay loam. (Apart from the field that is high pH high mag clay.) Unadjusted CEC 30 ish, adjusted CEC 15-20.

What is 'the exactrix system'?

Edited by JWC 10/30/2008 14:16
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)