AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Soil Tests and knowing your soils
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Jon S
Posted 10/29/2008 17:03 (#493546 - in reply to #493435)
Subject: RE: Soil Tests and knowing your soils

Marv,

Most "Basic" soil tests do not test for NO3 as part of the basic package in fact I don't know of any, but I must admit that I don't know of all the labs. Most places will give you an estimate of nitrogen based on the previous crop and the organic matter. If you want an available nitrogen test it is going to cost you more and the sampling technique is probably different. We send lots of samples to Spectrum, and I can assure you their basic soil analysis does not cover N. We pull samples in the fall and are most concerned with phos levels. I doubt that taking an available nitrogen test in the fall would be all that meaningful to our spring planted crops. There are some that utilize the PSNT for the purpose of sidedressing corn, but that is a seperate test.

Here are some labs http://www.urbanext.uiuc.edu/soiltest/ You can check the websites. You'll find the "basic" soil tests on most of them don't cover available N. I find that the job gets done quicker if you paint with a broad brush. lol.

BTW, where is "here?"

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)