AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Making use of the No-till payment
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

unifarmor
Posted 9/27/2008 01:26 (#470165 - in reply to #469886)
Subject: Re: Making use of the No-till payment

Western Oregon
The NRCS/government programs are in their own little worlds. They exist more to promote their little departments/programs I think than for anything else.
As for the increase in plowing. The same thing is going on in our part of the valley. We plowed for the first time in eight years. (We worked the ground, dumped water on, then "no-tilled" fescue in through the sprout. Also planted a little alfalfa field the same way. This seems to be a pretty good use for a no-till drill. Also planted a clover field for a neighbor who did things the same way. The alfalfa and clover really look good right now. Think your new JD drill will work better than the GP for that as it doesnt work up the ground.)
With the high costs of inputs you can't afford to cut corners. Has to be done right the first time. People are willing to spend more money on tried and true ways of farming rather than to risk fertilizer $$$ on something they are not sure will work. Not to mention the fact that Glyphosate prices have gone up just a wee bit!
I'm not sure that talk at the coffee shop or the Wilco BBQ means all that much. Every once in a while one of those farmers that I thought was the most opposed to no-till will get me to come over and plant a few acres. Have been pretty lucky so far and the fields have worked. Not sure what everyone is saying about me. Everyone seems to think it is pretty funny to see me stuck or if I get lost in the dark and leave a "landing strip." Hear more about that then if a field is a failure. Of course I'm no-tilling as a business/pay for a drill sort of thing also. Haven't had time to attend classes or dinner this summer either.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)