AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Couldnt take it any more. Bought me a combine!
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Mad Max Perf
Posted 9/20/2008 00:16 (#464879)
Subject: Couldnt take it any more. Bought me a combine!

North Western Alberta
Well this morning, after fighting with some more repairs on the ole 4200hr beat up, worn out ole' 8820, got to the field, and it stopped. Move the hydro lever, and no go. Pump, or hydro motor or something made some bad sounds, and that was it. No move-ey. So... I almost lost it. I flipped out. I have lost 5 days of good harvest with this old thing. I mean, looked it over, fixed what was wrong, but nothing that can be predicted failed. Everything but the usual stuff failed. So, I quick looked in the paper, and found 70 miles away, a 9500 with quite a few hours on it. (3000 separator hours) The fella seemed really nice, and really honest, said it was in mint shape. How many times have you heard that. So... off we went.

Got there, and sure enough, the thing is in gorgeous shape. I mean, shiney paint, no rust, no scratches, clean interior, all new chains, from feedhouse to elevator, new concaves and rub bars, air foil seive, beater speed up kit.... 4wd kit, really really nice. So, I wheeled him down a bit, cut the check, and headed for home. Got home, peeled the header off the 8820 ( had to PULL it back off the header with the pickup in the field....) and hooked the header up. Ran one tank of grain off, before dark and it got tough. PLEASE OH PLEASE LET THIS ONE BE RELIABLE!! It will be kept in a shop, and maintained meticulously. My 8820 had 3800 hrs on it when I bought it, and it was rough. I will NOT miss that thing! I have worked on that thing so much... its not even funny. Man, I hope this one is good, and reliable. The fella took immaculate care of it, so I hope its good. I wont miss that 8820. Not even a little bit. Id like to burn that thing... lol Whew.... back at it tommorow. Geez, does this thing give a clean sample. So clean, its making me nervous. Gotta check the tailings, and the chaff tomorrow, to make sure its not hucking it out the back. Must be the new concave and rub bars maybe. Pics to follow!!!!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)