AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Fall harvest graduate
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

jcs
Posted 9/19/2008 16:48 (#464557 - in reply to #464549)
Subject: RE: Fall harvest graduate

Oklahoma
Remember, they probably didn't go to college to learn to drive a tractor but to learn in in a classroom setting in the field of their choice.

I graduated grad school with a girl that didn't know how to drive a tractor or pull a trailer. If her brain was an engine, she was missing all the plugs and wires. Had lots of book smarts but essentially no common sense and no ability to observe.

My wife spent the first 9 years of her life on a farm before her folks had to move to town so she remembers being around it but never running it. She didn't know how to operate any equipment until getting a summer job at the agronomy farm in jr high. She still had that interest in ag though and pursued an ag degree. Today she can put a trailer about anywhere we ask her to and is a decent tractor operator. On the same token, I grew up on a livestock operation and didn't ever drive a combine until grad school and never drove a full size one until after college.

Not everyone in ag gets to grow up around a big farm and do all the various tasks, but it still doesn't mean they don't know anything or can't be taught. Not all things valuable are learned in a classroom but the classroom does serve as a learning center for people that don't know from experience on certain things.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)