AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Questions about Coors & cell phone differential service
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

ox1053
Posted 8/20/2008 21:58 (#439514 - in reply to #439440)
Subject: Re: Questions about Coors & cell phone differential service

Same theory, if a storm is between you and the actual station(s) correcting the gps position errors, the storm will have an impact on how the correction needs to be calculated. VRS Works as many RTK bases calculating correction. Those corrections are input into a mainframe server somewhere and then algorithms are used to calculate or interpolate corrections in spaces between the towers in the VRS system or the RTK Network system. A single RTK base station was originally created to guarantee sub inch (less than one inch) accuracy all of the time. The basis of using a radio to transmit the correction signal was two fold: 1) it was the most reliable source of transmition (in most areas due to lack of good cell coverage in many rural areas in the USA (and many cellular networks (not all) have voice over data rules to make sure their large customer base is taken care of; ie. not a few farmers in the area) and 2) to keep the signal at a sub inch (always) you need to be within 8 or so miles in a single RTK base. You most likely have assumed that I am pro single RTK base stations, but I will concede that VRS and RTK Networks (all being CORS stations) seem to be very promising assuming: 1) You are lucky enough to have good cellular coverage always, 2) You can find a good deal on an annual cellular package, and 3) You are only using that correction source for a maximum of 2 machines in your operation.

Anyone have any thoughts on my comments. I am trying to learn.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)