AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Newbe planter question
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

pbutler
Posted 3/26/2008 12:33 (#342236 - in reply to #342232)
Subject: RE: Newbe planter question

Macon, IL
You sound like me 5 years ago, but I was away for 20 years. Things have changed. Even 90% the no-tillers dumped the coulter out front of planter-most running row cleaners now instead.

I pull a 6rn no-till with 54hp, it is all it wants but you should have no problem.

Did you get a 7000 planter? (Assuming no vacuum) There have been a lot of advances the last few years that really make those old 7000s do a good job. Things that come to mind are precision meters, bullseye tubes, keatons, etc. Tehy are reeally cheap to keep running and easy to work on. One thing to look at is the bushings in the row units-easy cheap repair but it can make a world of difference if they are worn.

Here is my setup-it is similar to what a lot of no-tillers are running-just various brands of row cleaners/closing wheels-what works for your area and soil conditions.

http://www.paul-julia.com/planter.shtm

Running the soil conditioner in front you may not need the row cleaners or spiked closing wheels-but I have been happy with them in most conditions. Go check out precision planting site, lots of good info there.

You found the right web site, a lot of very knowlegable people here. I can't even count how many times the folks on this site have saved my bacon.

Edited by pbutler 3/26/2008 12:35
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)