AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Where is the savings in Daylight Savings Time?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

boog
Posted 3/10/2008 14:18 (#330679 - in reply to #330344)
Subject: Re: Where is the savings in Daylight Savings Time?

I recently read an article, INDY Star I think, about what it cost the people of IN to switch to DST last year. As I recall the y said the additional costs for DST was over $140 million in Indiana alone.

My gripe with the gov. changing us was that in 1958 the people voted not to use DST except for a few counties in the NE part of the state (around Chicago) & in the SW part of the state (down around Evansville. Dear old Mitch declared that vote not to be binding. Then he told the counties that each could determine what time zone they wanted to be in & the state would help in appealing to the USDOT who oversees the time zone jursidictions yet when it came time he told the counties they were on there own, after the DOT said they would not accept changes unless each county could make a valid reason for change.

What a mess if it would have been if if it would have been if each county had chosen their time zone. I know the county to the east of us had petitions to didvide into 3 parts with two observing one time zone & the other another tz.

Another complaint for us is that we are withing 1.5 miles of the IN/IL state line & IL is an hour later than us. A lot of the residents in our area work in IL & shop there as well. Makes a real PITA trying to keep track of the difference in time. Whenever trying to schedule something with someone from IL it always "that your time or ours" At least before we went to DST we only had to put up with the problem a few months out of the year, now it's year round. :~(

I feel sorry for the teachers for the next few days. I usually take our 5 yr old grandson to prechool in the mornings. Usually he talks the whole way into town. This morning as I was almost to town I thought "boy, Ben sure is quiet this morning" When I looked in the rearveow mirror his head was cocked over & he was sound asleep. I didn't have the heart to wake him till I pulled in the school parking lot.

I also feel for the little kids that have to get up before dark & ride the bus in the dark to school of a morning. Then at night it's no fun trying to get them to go to bed when it's still daylight outside. I even find it hard to sleep when it's daylight, just doesn't seem right.

Personally I find the switch to DST easier to make. Last fall it took me over a week to get use to being on "slow time"

Edited by boog 3/10/2008 17:22
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)