AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Drill verses Planting no-till beans
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Dan_wcIN
Posted 3/9/2008 23:33 (#330306 - in reply to #330009)
Subject: Re: Drill verses Planting no-till beans

It made a Crop
The residue build up will be interesting. Our corn yield avg. has gone up 30-50 bpa in the last 5 years. In walking bean stubble where beans were planted 7+/- inches from old corn rows. I'm see corn root crowns still in place. Those would be from the 2006 Triple Trait Corn Crop. Where the Tye 8" drill with coulters ran there's noticeable difference in visible residue from that same 2006 corn.

But, for me 30" were 5-10 bpa less for acre. Compared to my double planted 15" (2 passes with 30" planter) I saw a 0-5 pba advantage with 15" compared to 8" drilled (tye) A think that was mainly seed placement and lack of good coverage with the tye in areas.

For now I don't see the old corn residue causing no-till problems if they left untouched. A plain Early Riser row unit really shines in those conditions. Just run it 7.5 inches off old corn row and go. A it's hard to beat the simplicity of the Cyclo for Metering and Planting beans. I found row cleaners only caused more problem with residue flow. Taking them made a huge difference.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)